Tuesday, June 23, 2026

Zion day 3




There is quite a lot to cover today. We got the before 9 AM lottery award for the  Angels Landing hike. So, of course we started at 6. The approach trail to the chain climb is only 2 miles but it is very steep. There is supposed to be a ranger checking for permits at the beginning of the Angels Landing portion but we got up there before the ranger did, so we pressed on. If you are standing there looking up at the climb it seems improbable. Very steep, very exposed. We pressed on one step at a time and eventually made it to the top. There were many Chipmunks at the top. I unwrapped a granola bar as I sat down and was immediately attacked by several wanting a handout. They climbed up my arm and onto my shoulder. I, of course, didn't give them a crumb. The climb down was a little more congested with up climbers competing with down climbers for the chain. That's my second time on that hike and I'm pretty sure that will be my last. Tomorrow John and Jeanne head home and Jenny and I head to Kanab to get the MP out of storage. So far our plan has been aligning with reality. Really weird. More tomorrow from Kanab.

2 comments:

  1. That hike looked a little more than difficult. Did the ladies go with you or did you and John make it alone. IA John still talking to you, or did he erase you from his friend list. We'll, looked like an interesting hike, crawl, and struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that yall made it thru and up this trail..and made it thru the chipmunks. You the man! Paula

    ReplyDelete